Monday, June 13, 2011

My Dad's 60th Birthday

My siblings and I had been planning my dad's 60th birthday bash for months.  We decided on an "Asian Wedding" theme since all three siblings decided that most likely any dreams of a traditional Asian Wedding from us three kids were shot.  This was going to be perfect since we were essentially throwing a party that my dad would have dreamt for any of his kids but the focus would be on him!

In the madness of planning this party we kind of forgot to let my dad in on all the details.  Surprisingly enough, my mom did too.  Apparently, all 70 guests didn't mention a peep to my dad either.  We had no intention of having a surprise party but that was exactly what it turned out to be.  The look on my dad's face when he arrived was priceless and of course no family party would be complete without my dad getting somewhat emotional.


We held the banquet style dinner at Mandarin Cove Restaurant  in Downtown Portland.  George did an amazing job in helping to create a perfect 10-course Chinese dinner.  The Pham's LOVE taking photos (we are a vain bunch), so we hired a local photographer to document the night and had a little backdrop where everyone could take photos.


We couldn't have picked a better DJ for the occasion.  DJ Monkey spun some modern day American beats along with some traditional and not so traditional Vietnamese jams.  He got everyone on the dance floor!  I'm not going to lie, at times I felt like I was at a middle-aged Vietnamese dance party but it was SOOOOoo much fun!


Great food, fun music and in the company of our loved ones!  I would have to say that this party was a success.  Happy 60th Birthday Dad!


1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Thanks for sharing some of the details since I had to miss it. I didn't know about your professional photographer, how awesome! LOVE the dancing photos. HEART the family.

    ReplyDelete