Monday, January 9, 2012

Caviar, Oysters, Pizza & Pasta

My sister, Trang, spoiled me BIG time this Christmas.  She had me as her Secret Santa and got me some paddlefish caviar and truffle butter (among other kitchen goodies) from the The Seattle Caviar Company.


With such tasty gifts, I thought we should have a night in and cook some tasty dishes for family.  With such fancy gifts we needed to some fancy starters - Quail Eggs w/Paddlefish Caviar and Pan Fried Oysters topped w/Paddlefish Caviar.  

Quail Eggs with Paddlefish Caviar


This is such a simple appetizer!  It also goes so nicely with some champagne or white sparkling wine.  All you need are the following item:

10 fresh quail eggs
Paddle fish caviar
1 bunch of fresh chives chopped


Boil the quail eggs for 3-5 minutes.  Remove egg shells. Cut eggs in half.  Spoon just a little bit of caviar on each egg half and sprinkle with chives.  Wah la!

The pan fried oysters was also a nice appetizer to go along with the quail eggs.  This appetizer was also very simple to make. I just used some cornbread crumbs my mom had in her pantry and coated the oysters with them.  I pan fried it with some olive oil and topped the finish product with a touch of the Paddlefish Caviar and chopped chives.


CJ and Trang made some of their homemade thin-crust pizza for us.  BTW - thin crust is my favorite!  Pizza is surprisingly not very complicated to make.  I may attempt to make some at home myself now that we have a Kitchen Aid Mixer.  Here is CJ rolling out his dough.


And now the finished goods!  Pepperoni with mushrooms and olives.


And for you bacon lovers - Bacon Pizza!


Oh yes...and for the finale I made Ina Garten's Truffle Butter Linguine (click for the recipe).


This was such a rich and delicious recipe!  Truffle butter is a great alternative for the actual truffle.  It's also much more potent in flavor than truffle oil.  I am glad that this dish came at the end.  There was just enough for this to be served on tasting plates.  For dessert, Cuong and Julia brought over some creme brulee.  It wasn't homemade but did the job nicely!

I had so much fun cooking and spending time with my family.  It was a wonderful night in at the Pham's!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... looks so good! Did you also put shallots on the oysters? SO YUM looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...I did. I forgot to mention I actually made a vinaigrette reduction sauce to go over it! If you want the recipe I can try to dig for it.

    ReplyDelete